Sunday, 12 May 2019
The Research Foundation Workshop for the Practitioner draws from the work supported by the CFA Institute Research Foundation to help participants enhance their practical investment knowledge, understand and apply new research, and contribute to effective client service. This is an optional, free workshop for delegates of the 72nd CFA Institute Annual Conference.Ted Aronson, CFA,
Ted Aronson, CFA, Workshop Moderator
Founder and Managing Principal
Popularity: A Bridge between Classical and Behavioral Finance
Roger G. Ibbotson
Professor in the Practice Emeritus of Finance, Yale School of Management
Chairman, Zebra Capital Management, LLC
The Future of Investment Management
Ronald N. Kahn
Managing Director and Global Head of Systematic Equity Research
- Investment management is in flux, arguably more than it has been in a long time.
- This changing landscape includes seven key trends that are affecting the future of investment management.
- We are evolving toward a world with three distinct types of products, each with their own challenges and requirements for success.
Beyond the Numbers Sessions provide training in soft-skills in a variety of areas of personal development for investment professionals.
Founding Dean of Arts and Humanities, Minerva Schools at KGI
James McGill Professor Emeritus, McGill University
- The information age is drowning us with an unprecedented deluge of data while we’re expected to make more—and faster—decisions about our lives than ever before.
- Discover how cognitive neuroscience research into attention and memory can be applied to the challenges of our daily lives.
- Obtain methods to regain a sense of mastery over the way we organize our homes, workplaces, and time.
- Learn how the latest findings in cognitive neuroscience can help all of us increase our well-being, productivity, and creativity.
Rebecca Fender, CFA
Head, Future of Finance
Paul Smith, CFA
President and CEO
Roger Urwin, FSIP
Global Head of Investment Content, Willis Towers Watson
Co-Founder, Thinking Ahead Institute
- Changing roles: How trends in the industry will affect investment roles, including tech substitution and the gig economy, and differences by region
- Changing skills: What skills will be most in demand and how investment professionals can “future-proof” their careers
- Changing cultures: Expectations of the pipeline of investment professionals, building effective teams, and differentiating firm culture to attract the top talent
Psychology and the Good Life: What the Science of Psychology Says about How to Lead a More Flourishing Life
Head, Silliman College
Professor of Psychology, Yale University
- Introduction to the most popular class ever at Yale
- The most common misconceptions about what makes us happy
- The top seven tips for what really can help us live a more satisfying life
Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Professor of History
- How did a global bank run threatened banks on both sides of the Atlantic?
- What did it take to restore stability, and could the rescue be repeated?
- How risky is the global financial system now?
Author, When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing, Drive, and A Whole New Mind
- Discover how to effectively confront the series of “when” decisions that apply in all aspects of our lives.
- Research from psychology, biology, neuroscience, and economics reveals that timing is a science, not an art.
- Understand how the hidden pattern of the day affects analytic and creative capabilities—and how simple work rearrangements can improve effectiveness.
- Learn how best to live, work, and succeed by identifying the timing for decision making.