Tuesday, 23 May 2017
7:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
7:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Plenary Sessions feature industry thought leaders, who provide big picture perspectives, innovative insights, and broad outlooks on current issues of interest to the entire audience.
The Vanguard Group, Inc.
Theodore R. Aronson, CFA, Moderator
- Benjamin Graham on the index-fund revolution
- Keynes on enterprise and speculation
- Reflections on a 66-year career in finance
Chair, Systemic Risk Council
Former Deputy Governor, Bank of England
- Should we be concerned if financial reforms are rolled back?
- Is the market too relaxed about the capacity of macroeconomic policy to cushion the next recession?
- Is the world riskier or safer than it was in 2006?
11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m
Vice Chairman of Wealth Management, Managing Director, and Senior Client Advisor
- Proven strategies that will help you maximize your success in your current position or your dream position
- The importance of perceptions in the workplace as well as the key relationships that you must have in order to insure your success
- The power of authenticity and the role it plays in powerful leadership
Extended Sessions are presented by academics and allow for a deeper analysis into a topic in finance, often presenting research.
CEO and Director of Research
- Behavioral science as pioneered by Kahneman and Taversky is transforming the financial services industry. An emerging group of “behavioral advisers” who recognize that emotions and their resulting cognitive errors can affect client wealth is placing client behavior management at the center of its practice.
- Behavioral science is sweeping aside modern portfolio theory—supporting evidence calls the CAPM and EMH into question. A “behavioral market model” that uses objective, carefully researched behavioral measures is taking shape as a potential alternative.
- Research shows that active equity funds can be evaluated based on behavioral concepts and that specific criteria are predictive of superior performance. By changing the evaluation process, truly active funds can be identified while value-destroying closet indexers can be marginalized.
Ron Rimkus, CFA, Moderator
Professor of Retirement Income
The American College of Financial Services
- Differentiating between accumulation and distribution planning and understanding key retirement risks
- Distinguishing between risk pooling and self-management of longevity and market risk for retirees
- Determining retirement income needs and safe withdrawal rates in the case of extended longevity
Bob Dannhauser, CFA, Moderator
Head, Private Wealth Management
Professor of Finance
- What is blockchain technology, and how does it work? What are its benefits and risks, who will be disrupted, and who will be the disruptors? Is this technology just hype or is it real?
- How might the distributed ledger of blockchain improve upon existing transaction and ownership protocols? What stands in the way of large-scale adoption?
- What are the practical implications of blockchain in the near and intermediate terms? Should today’s financial professionals allocate time and resources to blockchain technology or pursue a “wait and see” strategy until there is a clearer path for this complex technology?
Elaine Cheng, Moderator
Managing Director and Chief Information Officer
United Technologies Professor of Business Administration
University of Virginia Darden Graduate School of Business
- Identifying the practices and mindsets of successful leaders of organic growth
- Examining a systematic design thinking toolkit and process that can enable all managers to develop these competencies
- Assessing what is in the way of leveraging the power of this approach in your business
Career Track Sessions are designed to inspire delegates at all stages of their career to be intentional about their career management and professional development efforts. Sessions will convey practical insights and strategies for achieving career goals.
Hellmann Career Consulting
- Learn the keys to positioning yourself in your resume, LinkedIn profile, emails, and “pitch” so that hiring managers will see you as an “insider”—and everyone wants to hire insiders
- Find out how to avoid the three most common mistakes people make when sharing their experience with hiring managers
- Learn a 10-step approach to diagnosing and optimizing your job search that will improve your odds of getting interviews, turning interviews into offers, and negotiating the salary and job that you really want
Susan Spinner, CFA, Moderator
CFA Society Germany
AUM PARTNERS, LLC
- How to understand what motivates and retains your highest performers, who are the engine driving your firm’s success in these dynamic times
- How to focus your time on those activities that are top leaders’ highest value-added contributions to achieving firm goals
- How to improve communication throughout your firm
Sameer Somal, CFA, Moderator
Chief Financial Officer
Blue Ocean Global Technology
Founder and CEO
WLJ Advisors, LLC
- How to use a framework for personal disruption; companies don’t disrupt, people do.
- How to apply the S-curve, typically used to gauge how quickly an innovation will be adopted, as a tool for understanding the psychology of personal disruption
- How to implement seven practical tips for accelerating movement along your professional S-curve
Associate Dean and Shanna and Eric Bass ’05 Director of Entrepreneurship
Yale School of Management
- Learn how to design a business model
- Adopt cutting-edge approaches like the “lean startup”
- Attract capital to fund your venture
Anne Cabot-Alletzhauser, Moderator
Head, Research Institute
Join us for dinner and networking at the historic National Constitution Center and be transported back in time to the Prohibition era and the roaring 1920s.
Be entertained by a 1920s jazz band, and partake in whiskey tastings in the secret speakeasy.
Explore the various exhibitions, including Signers’ Hall, where you can sign the Constitution alongside 42 life-size, bronze statues of the Founding Fathers. Don’t miss out on a visit to the Rooftop Terrace, which provides a majestic view of Philadelphia’s famous historic landmarks.
This reception is included in the delegate fee. Dress is business casual.