Wednesday, 20 May 2020
8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Professor of Chinese Studies and Director, Lau China Institute
King’s College London
- How China is becoming the next superpower and leading influencer—based on its size and population, its manufacturing sector, GDP, and trade presence
- What matters to China? A look at China’s displays of military prowess, its investments in cyber warfare, and its increasing financial clout
- What are Xi Jinping’s goals and plans? Inside his plans to make China the most powerful country on Earth and to eradicate poverty for its citizens
- A look at China’s ideology and foreign policy, and what they mean for the world
- What would a world led by China and greatly affected by “Chinese values” look like?
Plenary Sessions feature global thought leaders who provide big picture perspectives, innovative insights, and broad outlooks on current issues of interest to the entire audience. The keynote plenary is on Sunday evening, with the remaining plenary sessions on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings and closing Monday and Tuesday afternoons.
11:45 a.m.–12:45 p.m.
A Conversation with Michael Lewis: Observations on Wall Street and Politics 30 Years after Liar’s Poker
Financial Journalist and Best-Selling Author