Sri Krishnamurthy, CFA
The use of data science and machine learning in the investment industry is increasing. Financial firms are using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to augment traditional investment decision making.
In this workshop, we aim to bring clarity on how AI and machine learning are revolutionizing financial services. We will introduce key concepts and, through examples and case studies, will illustrate the role of machine learning, data science techniques, and AI in the investment industry.
In Part 1, we will discuss key trends in AI and machine learning in the financial services industry, including the key use cases, challenges, and best practices.
In Part 2, we will illustrate two case studies where AI and machine learning techniques are applied in financial services.
- Sentiment Analysis Using Natural Language Processing in Finance
In this case study, we will demonstrate the use of natural language processing techniques to analyze EDGAR call earnings transcripts that could be used to generate sentiment analysis scores using the Amazon Comprehend, IBM Watson, Google, and Azure APIs (application programming interfaces). We will illustrate how these scores can be used to augment traditional quantitative research and for trading decisions.
- Credit Risk Decision Making Using Lending Club Data
In this case study, we will use the Lending Club data set to build a credit risk model using machine learning techniques.
Note: Both case studies will use Python and cloud-based technologies, but Python/technical experience is not required to attend this workshop. Delegates are encouraged, but not required, to bring their laptop to follow along with demos and examples.
Who should attend:
- Fundamental and quantitative analysts, investment professionals, and portfolio managers new to data science and machine learning
- Financial professionals new to data-driven methodologies
- Machine learning enthusiasts interested in use cases in fintech and financial organizations
- “Speaking Data Science with an Investment Accent,” Cynthia Harrington, CFA Institute Magazine (21 December 2017)
- “Machine Learning: An Intuitive Foundation,” Sri Krishnamurthy(24 August 2016)
Note: This session is also offered Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 3:00pm. This Interactive Workshop has limited capacity and requires pre-registration.