Does Digital Equal Robo?
Aberdeen Asset Management
201 │ Level 2
- Everything is digital, so what does digital disruption mean?
- Can digital enhance the value of the human interface? Is customization an option or is it one-size-fits-all?
- How can lessons learned from the United States shape what the robo-adviser looks like in the United Kingdom?
Global Fixed-Income Insights: Managing Portfolios in a Low/Rising Rate Environment
Amundi Smith Breeden
Jerome Barkate, CFA
204 │ Level 2
- In reaction to the global financial crisis and resultant slow recovery, central banks have pushed interest rates to historically low levels.
- For investors, particularly in the fixed-income space, generating attractive returns while reducing capital loss risk is a challenge.
- We share our experience and provide our insights about benefits from diversification, sector rotation, risk premium considerations, FX management, and derivatives products for capital protection and continued alpha delivery.
Current Trends in the Exchange-Traded Fund (ETF) Industry
Elisabeth Kashner, CFA
103 │ Level 1
- Discuss how ETF investor sentiment speaks volumes about which asset classes, regions, and strategies are attracting capital as ETFs continue to increasingly displace mutual funds.
- Evaluate why changes in market share around active management, strategic beta, and plain vanilla funds help you understand what’s going on, what is hot, and what is not in the ETF industry.
- Analyze recent ETF fund flows to understand what other trends are driving the industry and what’s in store for the year ahead.
The Great Risk Rebalance and Fixed-Income Markets: What Is Your Medicine?
Macquarie Investment Management
J. David Hillmeyer, CFA
108 │ Level 1
- Albert Einstein said, “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
- Today’s economic backdrop is challenged by excessive debt, lack of pricing power, and market dislocations.
- With this backdrop, it is important to consider the possibility that asset returns and lifestyles will need to adjust in order to meet the new challenges we face as fixed-income investors.
What Is Really Driving Your Performance?
S&P Global Market Intelligence
David Pope, CFA
114 │ Level 1
- Performance characteristics of high-profile mutual funds
- Sources of performance, with a particular focus on security level and factor exposure drivers of return
- Sector-specific insights that may be influential in portfolio construction and performance
What We Are Learning about Factor Timing
Tim Gaumer, CFA
113 │ Level 1
- Factor performance (value, momentum, quality, and others) varies significantly over time. When and where does it make sense for investors to vary the emphasis placed on these factors?
- How can we use leading macroeconomic signals to adjust factor weights?
- What hints do institutional holdings give with regard to factor popularity and rotation?
- Does factor momentum still work? Is it better to simply stick with static factor weights?