The Research Foundation Workshop for the Practitioner draws from the work supported by the CFA Institute Research Foundation to help participants enhance their practical investment knowledge, understand and apply new research, and contribute to effective client service. This is an optional, free workshop for delegates of the 73rd CFA Institute Annual Conference, pre-registration is not required.
Ted Aronson, CFA, Workshop Moderator
Founder and Managing Principal, AJO
Chair, CFA Institute Research Foundation
ESG and Responsible Institutional Investing around the World
John G. Macfarlane Family Chair and Professor of Business Administration
University of Virginia, Darden School of Business
- Does ESG matter, and what role can institutional investors play? Highlights from the academic literature
- New evidence from a study using data from the UN Principles of Responsible Investment reporting framework: Do institutional investors really “walk the (ESG) talk”? Are there trade-offs between sustainable investing and portfolio performance?
- The challenges and future for ESG investing
Behavioral Finance: The Second Generation
Glenn Klimek Professor of Finance
Leavey School of Business, Santa Clara University
- Behavioral finance is in its second generation, describing people as “normal”—neither “rational,” as in standard finance, nor “irrational,” as in the first generation of behavioral finance.
- Second-generation behavioral finance acknowledges the full range of people’s normal wants and offers guidance on using shortcuts and avoiding errors on the way to satisfying normal wants.
- Second-generation behavioral finance offers answers to important questions of finance, including saving and spending, portfolio construction, asset pricing, and market efficiency.