The Research Foundation Workshop for the Practitioner draws from the work supported by the CFA Institute Research Foundation to help participants enhance their practical investment knowledge, understand and apply new research, and contribute to effective client service. This is an optional, free workshop for delegates of the 71st CFA Institute Annual Conference.
Active Indexing: How ETF Investing Has Impacted Investment Management
Joanne M. Hill
Chief Advisor for Research and Strategy, CBOE Vest
Research Committee Chair, CFA Institute Research Foundation Board of Trustees
This session will cover highlights from the CFA Institute Research Foundation monograph A Comprehensive Guide to Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs):
- Explore how ETFs work and how to evaluate them individually—including their unique investment and trading features, regulatory structure, and use in tactical and strategic portfolio management for a broad range of asset classes.
- Gain a better understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, and myths about ETFs.
- Discuss how ETFs are challenging the distinction between active and passive management and how the investment management business is adapting to growing interest in strategies packaged in ETFs.
Alternative Investments: A Primer for Investment Trustees
Keith Black, CFA
Managing Director, Curriculum and Exams
The newest monograph by the CFA Institute Research Foundation explains the world of alternative investments.
- Strategies discussed include hedge funds, private equity, real assets, commodities, and structured products.
- Also included are discussions on tail risk, risk management, benchmarking, and due diligence.
- The case for including alternative investments in a stock and bond portfolio is also presented.